Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak has confirmed the wreckage found on the South Indian island of Reunion is that of MH370.
“Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370.
“We now have physical evidence as I announced last year that flight MH370 tragically ended in the Southern Indian Ocean,” he said.
Najib hoped the confirmation would give closure to the families of those who perished in the tragic accident.
“It is hoped that this confirmation no matter how tragic and painful will at least bring certainty to the families and loved ones of the 239 people on board MH370.
“They have our deepest sympathy and prayers,” the premier said, adding that the nation mourned with them.
He then assured that Malaysia would do all it can to find out the truth behind the tragedy.
He also thanked all those involved in the search.
Malaysia Airlines also extended its sympathy to the families of the passengers and crew on board the ill- fated flight.
The national airline hoped more parts of the plane can be found to help solve the mystery of the Boeing 777’s disappearance.
MH370 dissappeared while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in the early hours of March 8, 2014.
The plane made a turn back shortly after flying over the east coast, and flew past Penang before disappearing from radar.
A frantic search for the flight initially focused on the South China Sea, before satellite data analysis suggested that the plane crashed in the South Indian Ocean.
A multi-nation search commenced off the western coasts of Australia, but had yet to find anything.
The wreckage found on Reunion is the first solid piece of evidence proving that MH370 did indeed crash in the South Indian Ocean.
Soon after Najib’s announcement, French prosecutor Serge Mackowiak confirmed that the wing fragment discovered on the remote island was from a Boeing 777.
However, he stopped short of confirming the flaperon was from MH370, and only said initial test results showed there were “very strong indications” the debris was from the plane.
Mackowiak said confirmation would only come after further tests on the fragment were carried out starting Thursday.